UPPCO seeks a self-motivated System Operator to join our team in Ishpeming, Michigan. This is a development position requiring continuous learning and reports to the Manager-System Operations Center.
This position typically works an 8-hour, day-shift or afternoon-shift schedule and requires responding to call-ins as requested, working additional hours when workload requires additional staffing and to be available to work evenings, holidays and weekends as needed. Upon completion of training, this position may upgrade to a System Operation Supervisor.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SYSTEM OPERATOR.
Job duties are performed under the direct supervision of System Operations Supervisor(s) and will assist with the following duties in conjunction with a skills development matrix.
System & Generation Operations:
- Oversee real-time remote operations of UPPCO’s Substation, Distribution & Generation facilities.
- Assess of system conditions to determine appropriate actions to take.
- Work w/Supervisors in the oversight of UPPCO electric systems to ensure safety, reliability & efficiency.
System Operator Functions:
- Provide emergency & non-emergency dispatch of electric trouble events to field responders.
- Responsible for after-hours customer call answering and UPPCO field crew dispatch.
- Efficient incoming/outgoing/dispatch communications with site employees by radio, computer, phone; call technical personnel for special problems; provide clear, professional communications over radio/phone; update Public Affairs, local supervision, Account Executives of trouble situations.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS AN UPPCO SYSTEM OPERATOR.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Technology or similarly named discipline, preferred.
- 2 years’ experience in electric utility system operations, field operations and/or switching procedures.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience.
- Proficiency with computers including working knowledge of Word and Excel, required.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to respond to call-ins and work additional hours including evenings, holidays, weekends, as needed.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel overnight, occasionally and as required.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of Ishpeming System Operations Center jobsite.
INTERESTED? Applications being accepted online at uppco.hirescore.com