UPPCO seeks a highly-qualified Senior Accountant to join their team in Marquette, Michigan. The Senior Accountant will be responsible to perform accounting processes related to regulatory accounting, reporting and policy; provide accurate and timely monthly financial statements through journal entries, account reconciliations and proper review of the financials; prepare financial reports for regulatory reporting and be a key partner in the interim and annual audit time periods; provide oversight of accounting to assure compliance with FERC uniform system of accounts as well as GAAP and FASB. This position builds strong business relationships with the operational and financial teams and reports to the Director of Accounting.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SENIOR ACCOUNTANT.
- Research and evaluate new regulatory accounting and reporting rules/regulations and oversight of state and federal regulatory agency compliance for accounting and financial reporting matters.
- Prepare and coordinate state, federal and jurisdictional analysis and reporting filed with FERC and state commissions including FERC Form 1 & 2 and other required reports.
- Support and participate in the monthly financial statement close process ensuring that all financial transactions are recorded accurately and timely.
- Work with operating personnel on accounting issues.
- Prepare, review and analyze account reconciliations for companies and/or designated functions within Business Unit or functional area of responsibility.
- Bring a consistent, expected deliverable to the close process/procedures by performing reconciliations, research & adjusting journal entries as outlined in the monthly close schedule.
- Perform year-end close procedures and support the annual audit. Preparing and providing audit support including PBC Schedules, roll-forwards and analytical worksheets.
- Assist w/regulatory & compliance obligations including quarterly/annual filings to utility commissions.
- Manage 1099 filing at year-end.
- Manage property tax filings.
- Keep-up with industry trends and developments, and deep-dive into relevant topics as they apply to our utility and compliance requirements.
- Assist, as needed, in special projects and the implementation of changes in FASB/GAAP.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS OUR SENIOR ACCOUNTANT.
- Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field desired; MBA a plus.
- 5 years of utility related experience in general financial accounting and reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of FASB/GAAP and legal and business principles.
- Working knowledge of utility accounting industry & application of FERC uniform system of accounts.
- Demonstrated success in using technology to improve process efficiency.
- Ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences and analyze complex business scenarios.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, Vlookups).
- Strong ERP/Business Information Warehouse/Data Query experience.
- Understanding of the interrelationship between utility rate making, tax and general purpose accounting concepts, a bonus.
- Deferred tax and tax provision experience, a bonus.
- Knowledge of PowerPlan tax software, a bonus.
- Working knowledge of SAP or similar software and business technology applications, a bonus.
INTERESTED? Apply online at uppco.sdsjobs.com
No phone calls or walk-ins please.