UPPCO seeks a knowledgeable and experienced Manager of Substation Engineering to join their team in Ishpeming, Michigan. This position provides leadership over and is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance strategy of UPPCO’s electrical substation facilities. In addition, the Manager of Substation Engineering is responsible for ensuring UPPCO engineering employees have the appropriate technical training, materials and equipment, and support necessary to operate and maintain UPPCO’s electric systems; and managing human resources, material resources and associated budgets necessary to conduct engineering processes. The position reports to the Director of Substation & System Operations and the primary responsibilities include providing expertise and leadership for:
- Provide/manage/oversee electrical system design/engineering for substation systems using modern technology.
- Coordinate the design/engineering of high voltage systems, substation, metering and generation protection systems, including protective relays and interconnections to the transmission system.
Reliability/Compliance & Records Management
- Develop/implement strategic business plans/processes incl. analysis/reporting to insure regulatory compliance (NERC, MPSC, FERC, etc.).
- Manage/maintain engineering documents such as substation equipment records, substation equipment test records, system one lines, switch designation diagrams, protective relay diagrams, protective relay settings and protective relay test records.
- Assist with the development of MPSC tariffs, rate cases and rules.
- Provide support to other departments with the technical aspects to legislative issues as needed.
- Assess future market and technical trends in the electric utility business and ensure facilities and practices comply with regulations, codes (NEC, NESC, etc.), and company policies.
- Technical support for meter testing records compliance and MPSC reporting.
Forecasting, Planning & Budgeting
- Manage development of long-range system planning, system integrity analysis, substation equipment performance analysis and system enhancement plans.
- Oversee development of specific substation system expansion plans; create/assist in capital project cost forecasting & budgeting.
- Meet w/external customers, contractors, agencies & attorneys to resolve issues; represent UPPCO with external groups. (i.e. American Transmission Company (ATC), Edison Electric Institute (EEI), etc.)
Standards, Training & Safety
- Develop electrical facility systems/processes by advocating the use of best engineering practices, implementing effective business management practices, and managing financial stability.
- Assist in the establishment of equipment specifications that are code compliant & process for equipment field testing data analysis.
- Provide for safe, reliable operations and procuring resources/methods for systems/process improvement including oversight of equipment maintenance strategies that align with engineering designs and manufacture specifications.
- Oversight of substation engineering policies/procedures/standards incl.: substation construction standards, protective relay & control standards, project mgmt. policy, electrical operating procedures.
- Assist with evaluation/standardization of methods and the development/maintenance of drawing control standards for GIS mapping, customer service manuals, substation & generation electrical drawings (site, steel, AC/DC Schematics, wiring, grounding, details, etc.).
- Provide technical support as needed for Line Work Methods, Substation Work Practices, Metering Work Practices, Safety Rules committees.
Projects, Construction & Contract Management
- Responsible for the development and management of the engineering group’s portion of capital and expense budgets.
- Utilizes project management methods to meet project scope, scope change tracking, estimates, schedule and project cost tracking.
- Utilize SAP software for project work order creation, funding requests and approvals
- Oversee capital substation project equipment material & services procurement
- Manages the development of substation & generation new equipment start-up and commissioning procedures & support.
- Assist with keeping SAP and plant accounting databases up-to-date for substation related assets that are installed and/or retired.
- Oversee the process for retention of design/project records associated with engineering designs.
- Responsible for contract administration for municipal lighting agreements, railroad licenses and municipal pole attachments.
ATC Capital Project & Agreements Management
- Oversees American Transmission Company (ATC) agreement administration (load interconnection request forms (LIRF), O&M services, capital projects, project requests, monthly billing & accounting support) & ATC business practices.
- ATC primary contact for: Request for Service (RFS), Project Services Agreement (PSA), Common Facilities Agreement (CFA).
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS OUR MANAGER OF SUBSTATION ENGINEERING.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- 5 years of electric utility experience related to distribution and/or substation systems required.
- 5 years of working experience as an engineer using engineering principles required.
- 2 years of formal leadership and project management experience required.
- Professional Licensed Engineer - Michigan preferred.
- Ability to lead and manage the design, construction and maintenance of electrical substation facilities.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency using basic office software (MS Word, Excel, Outlook calendar/email, PowerPoint) and ERP software (SAP preferred).
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Willing and able to travel throughout the Upper Peninsula covering the UPPCO service territory.
INTERESTED? Apply online at uppco.sdsjobs.com
No phone calls or walk-ins please.
ABOUT US. UPPCO is a private, regulated electric utility delivering safe, reliable energy to nearly 54,000 customers in 10 counties of Michigan's pristine Upper Peninsula. Learn more at uppco.com.