UPPCO seeks a Distribution Engineer to join their team in Ishpeming, Michigan. This position is a member of a design team that is involved in engineering, scoping and estimating to produce short-term budget projects and longer-term expansion plans for the electric distribution system. The Distribution Engineer oversees technical planning functions and coordinates special studies; evaluates equipment performance and applications for integration into the distribution system; coordinates distribution system planning functions; as well as provides technical support as needed to company operations groups. This position reports to the Manager of Distribution Engineering.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Salary based on your knowledge and experience in addition to a comprehensive benefit package.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE PROVIDING EXPERTISE AND INFORMAL LEADERSHIP FOR:
- Analyze unusual customer loads and technical effect on the distribution system and make recommendations for mitigation.
- Coordinate distribution system design efforts with those of other intra- and inter- departmental work groups, external companies and agencies, and the public.
- Determine distribution system equipment application, specify equipment, and evaluate supplier proposals.
- Develop and review protective device settings that coordinate substation, distribution, generation protection systems and interconnections to the transmission system to ensure safe and reliable operation that protect company assets.
- Provide field support for field testing and equipment commissioning.
- Answer questions and advise personnel within home department and in other departments in the company regarding high voltage system and components.
- Analyze electrical distribution system & equipment performance for effectiveness, reliability & safety.
- Provide input on the creation/maintenance of applicable electrical drawings and maps (i.e. line designs, standards, schematics, wiring, grounding, details, etc.).
- Provide engineering for distribution systems utilizing available modern technologies.
Reliability/Compliance & Records Management
- Develop/implement strategic business plans and processes, including analysis & reporting, to insure regulatory compliance (NERC, MPSC, FERC, etc.).
- Manage/maintain engineering documents such as customer outage records, system one lines, relay target reports, switch designation diagrams, protective relay diagrams and outdoor lighting records.
- Assist w/development of MPSC tariffs, rate cases & rules. Provide MPSC w/power quality and reliability reports and support other departments with the technical aspects to legislative issues as needed.
- Assess future market and technical trends in the electric utility business and ensure facilities and practices comply with regulations, codes (NEC, NESC, etc.), and company policies.
- Technical support for meter testing records compliance and MPSC reporting.
Forecasting, Planning & Budgeting
- Develop distribution reinforcements for the annual construction budget process: analyze voltage levels, equipment capacities, VAR requirements, circuit configuration, and operational considerations of the distribution system.
- Develop long-range distribution plans by studying reinforcement alternatives, conducting economic analysis and make capital project recommendations regarding distribution system reliability.
- Coordinate distribution planning requirements with Substation Design Engineer, Electric Distribution Operations, and other departments and entities as appropriate including protective relays and interconnections to the transmission system.
- Meet with external customers, contractors, agencies, and vendors to resolve issues.
Standards, Training & Safety
- Develop electrical facility systems/processes by advocating the use of best engineering practices.
- Establishes equipment specifications that are code compliant & process for equipment field testing data analysis.
- Provide technical support to filed personnel on distribution line equipment maintenance strategies that align with engineering designs and manufacture specifications.
- Develop and maintain distribution line construction standards.
- Assist in the development & maintenance of drawing control standards for GIS mapping, customer service manuals, distribution system electrical drawings (one lines, schematics, wiring, maps, etc.).
- Provide technical support as needed for Line Work Methods, Substation Work Practices, Metering Work Practices and Safety Rules.
Projects, Construction & Contract Management
- Utilize project management methods to meet project scope, change tracking, schedule & budgets.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS AN UPPCO DISTRIBUTION ENGINEER:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college; a power option is preferred.
- 3 years electric utility engineering experience related to distribution and/or substation systems
- 3 years design and operation of power systems including creation/maintenance of electrical utility construction drawings, standards, and specifications
- 2 years project management experience involved in coordinating resources for multiple concurrently running projects is
- Professional Licensed Engineer – Michigan,
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage a diverse workload and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to travel amongst the Upper Peninsula.
APPLY ONLINE AT uppco.sdsjobs.com.
No phone calls or walk-ins please.